The Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research headquarters are located at the Advanced Technology and Research Facility (ATRF), located at 8560 Progress Drive, Frederick Maryland. Additional offices and laboratories are located on the NCI at Frederick campus within the Fort Detrick U.S. Army facility in Frederick, Maryland. At Fort Detrick, all visitors must enter through Nallin Gate, which is located on Opossumtown Pike at Amber Road. The Nallin Gate is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Please Remember: Visitors must be escorted at all times, unless specifically authorized.
Frederick National Laboratory facilities located at Fort Detrick
- Provide proof of identification to the Fort Detrick security staff at the visitor center at Nallin Gate; they will conduct a background check prior to approving entry.
- Note: Acceptable forms of government issued identification include a passport or Driver’s License that complies with the REAL ID Act. Check your state or territory’s REAL ID status.
- Note: Non-U.S. citizens visiting the Frederick National Lab may require a federal employee escort onto the campus, which can be arranged by contacting Protective Services at 301-846-1091.
- Your vehicle will be searched before being allowed to enter the facility grounds. In addition to your vehicle, the trunk and any boxes, bags, or other items may also be searched.
- Note: If arriving by taxi or other service, all passengers, including the driver, must also obtain a visitor’s pass before entering the Fort Detrick facility.
- Note: Federal Law prohibits the following items on Federal property: firearms, explosives, archery equipment, dangerous weapons, knives with blades over 2½ inches, alcoholic beverages and open containers of alcohol.
- Note: No photographs may be taken while on the Fort Detrick and Frederick National Lab property. Cell phones may be used while driving only if hands free. All drivers must stop for pedestrians in cross walks.
- Proceed to the Protective Services Dispatch Office in Building 426 to receive your Visitor Badge before proceeding to any other destination.
- Note: Follow all traffic rules and posted speed limits while on base as you may be ticketed by Fort Detrick or NIH Police.
For gate hours, please visit Fort Detrick's Visitors website.
Visitors to facilities such as the ATRF, VCMP, or other Frederick National Laboratory locations must report to the reception or security desk located at that facility. Visitors must be escorted at all times, unless specifically authorized.
Extended visitors, i.e., those that will be visiting for longer than six months may apply for an extended visitor identification card through Protective Services.
Facilities & Amenities
View our amenities by facility location below.
|Facility Location||Main Offices||Cafe||Auditorium||Library|
|Fort Detrick||Visitor's Office- Bldg 426||Bldg 549||Bldg 549||Bldg 549|
|ATRF||3rd Floor- Management Offices||Main Lobby||Main Lobby||2nd Floor|
Frederick National Laboratory
All buildings on the Frederick campus, with the exception of Building 549, which includes the Conference Center and Scientific Library, and the lobby of Building 426 are secured via a card-key system; therefore, visitors must have an escort in order to enter most buildings.
The campus offers several rooms, equipped with computer and teleconferencing equipment, for meetings, speakers and special events.
Cafeteria and catering services are available through the Discovery Cafe.